Sign up
  • Articles can be formatted in a much more readable style using the [ap] BBCode.
  • If the article is from another location, provide attribution using the [source] BBCode, URL's can be used inside.
Darkshaunz
Footnote about Pride

June 28 was apparently Pride Day, and I would have been completely oblivious to that fact - were it not for a bunch of people on my facebook feed applying a rainbow filter over their profile pictures. It was also a day of celebration because apparently in the year 2015, it is a cause of celebration to have the courts agree that, "Hey yeah you can marry the person you love" - when it should in fact, be a fact so mundane and obvious that nobody gave a shit about it. This also led me to assume that everyday that wasn't June 28 was passively and secretly 'Straight Pride Day', and I'm unfortunately not compelled to pop the champagne on that one. Perhaps, we should replace "Pride Day" with "Fuck backwards thinking Day", because it'll promote the sciences and celebrate human beings at the same time.

Right, so my main problem with Pride Day has absolutely nothing to do with gay people. My main problem with Pride Day has everything to do with the godawful status posts that comes as a result of "straight-shooting religious people" seeing other people put a rainbow filter over their profile pictures. I am thankful for the day, not because of any pro-pride message, but because it allows me cull my facebook friends list of people that I thought were rational and decent human beings. The most interesting observations I have of this is that all of them have been Christians. Which is a significant factor because I also have a lot of Muslim friends (well I do live in Malaysia, after all) and none of them were calling for the blood of gay people.

The main complaints were that besides being sinful or whatever stupid bullshit they talk about at Church, was that they lamented having to explain gay people to their kids. A common theme was definitely, "How do I explain their sinful lifestyle and choice to my children?", and "Kids should not be exposed to their behaviour, lest they follow in their footsteps". I am praying that their kids turn out gay and have happy, wonderful lives without them. To my ex-facebook friends: Go to your graves clutching at your outmoded scriptures, hoping for an eternal bliss which isn't coming.

I didn't do this out of any particular sense of moral or social righteousness, but mainly because I disagreed with the shit-baked seepage that was leaking out from the voids in their heads where the brains should have been. When I'm being totally honest, I'm otherwise indifferent to the plight of gay people - because I think it shouldn't be a big deal, socially speaking. Unfortunately, it is still a big deal, because of religion and culture - which is retarded because we're in the 21st century. Anyway, I am sure some other zealous idiot missed my cull this time around - but there's always next year.
Spoon
Well said Shaun, well said.

I'm otherwise indifferent to the plight of gay people - because I think it shouldn't be a big deal, socially speaking.

I've heard very similar things to this from some of my friends and I'm not sure if it's fair to generalise and say this argument seems to come from intelligent people, but that is what I have noticed.

I look forward to the day we don't feel the need to applaud rational decisions being made, but I don't imagine that will happen within my lifetime.
cailo-
Its true Shaunz there shouldn't be an issue. I'd like to know if you think it right to say the same could be said about many types of groups of people such as women and African Americans? Is it ridiculous that we still celebrate their causes because in our age that there still shouldn't be an issue?

Further to your point problems arises from celebrating these issues. I remember hearing John Safran interviewing ambassador for African American rights. The issue that I remember this man talking about was that white people are allowed to listen to what ever culture music they want while if an African American enjoyed listening to white people music they would be bullied for not being African American enough. After reading your post I consider that interview and I wonder if the constant focus of their issues causes African American's to want to push their culture even if it isn't in their interest to do so. The same can be said for women and feminism and gay people acting gay. Most of us have met gay people who don't act like the stereo type and I am sure many don't want to.

So why does society still push these issues? Well to play devils advocate I suppose there are plenty of dumb people in this world and there always will be. There will continue to be racist people, there will continue to be men who bash women, and there will continue to be dinosaurs that are against same sex marriage. For that the issues need to be pushed so that the cancer spewed by stupid doesn't spread.

So are the stupid people wrecking it for the rest of us? Tell me a place in this world that stupid people don't wreck everything, if people didn't commit crime we wouldn't need to spend so much money on police. It just sucks because stupid and ignorant people exist so we all have to compromise for them.
Hunterbob
Matey wrote:
I don't want to spurt off a bunch of anti-gay shit - I'm not necessarily against fags, I just don't like people forcing their issues on me.

Woah, bit late for that Matey!

And to be fair, there's not really any issues being forced upon you, because they don't actually affect you. The media and people you know will get involved, meaning you have exposure to it, but it's not forced down your throat.

You can be proud to be straight, sure, but lets look at it this way: A lot of gay folks can only really feel proud about being gay now. But, the problem still, is that discrimination will still exist over it, in some cases, legally.

As a straight, white male, the privilege is pretty high. Nothing to be discriminated against you, aside from being privileged.
Clownshoes
Matey wrote:
What will the faggots do now that they can get married? They have victimised themselves for so long I'm sure that they will find something new to complain about, or feel a lack of purpose and become unhappy that they no longer have anything that makes them unique (other that muff diving/cock sucking). I don't want to spurt off a bunch of anti-gay shit - I'm not necessarily against fags, I just don't like people forcing their issues on me. And I HATE that all of a sudden it's such a crime to be anti-gay. So now a straight white male is in a position where we basically can't express how PROUD we are to be who we are, because if we do we are assholes.

I'm actually much more concerned with the feminist movement. Unlike gays, they aren't asking for equality, they are asking for dominance.


People being gay don't affect you whatsoever. Stop being a retard.
kiral
Matey wrote:
What will the faggots do now that they can get married? They have victimised themselves for so long I'm sure that they will find something new to complain about, or feel a lack of purpose and become unhappy that they no longer have anything that makes them unique (other that muff diving/cock sucking). I don't want to spurt off a bunch of anti-gay shit - I'm not necessarily against fags, I just don't like people forcing their issues on me. And I HATE that all of a sudden it's such a crime to be anti-gay. So now a straight white male is in a position where we basically can't express how PROUD we are to be who we are, because if we do we are assholes.

I'm actually much more concerned with the feminist movement. Unlike gays, they aren't asking for equality, they are asking for dominance.


Gay people still can't get married in Australia, and secondly them getting married won't change anything for you personally.

The only people concerned about gay marriage are religious nut jobs who think it's ruining the sacrilege of marriage, even though divorce rates of straight couples are very high.

The main disadvantage for gay people as a result of gay marriage will be not being able use the "I'd love for us to get married, if only it wasn't illegal ;)" excuse.
Matey
haha, chill out bros. I'm glad I stirred the pot! Look, honestly, you're completely right, it has zero effect on me and I'm basically making something out of nothing. I used some pretty strong words and I didn't mean to come across the way it did (or be offensive). I do think I brought up a valid point to discuss: what happens after gay marriage is legalised? Apart from the obvious advantages/disadvantages of pleasing/not pleasing the parties whom are for and against, is there a potential for other events to occur? Will there be more peace within the gay community due to them not needing to fight for equality any more? Will the tables turn, where instead of gay people marching for their rights, "christian nut jobs" will be the ones fighting for homosexual marriage to be made illegal again? I'm sure there would be some information on this from the countries who have already legalised it.

My initial rant was just building from the endless rainbows on facebook. When I used the word 'forced' I simply meant that it has flooded social media and every other media source.
Fun
1954 Matey wrote:
what happens after interracial marriage is legalised?


Life will go on.

2015 Matey wrote:
what happens after gay marriage is legalised?


Life will go on.
kiral
Because right wing religious conservatives are so vocal, you have to be even more vocal to get your message across.

Legalised gay marriage is just one more step towards gay people being more socially accepted and no longer being considered something that is controversial.
Hunterbob
Fun wrote:
1954 Matey wrote:
what happens after interracial marriage is legalised?


Life will go on.

2015 Matey wrote:
what happens after gay marriage is legalised?


Life will go on.

I lost :lol:

As for other countries that have passed it already, it really is a case of life goes on. I think the first country to pass it was in 2001, so it's not a new thing, just controversial to all the people scared of change.
Spoon
Jesus Matey, were you born in 1950? Those are some seriously closed minded views.

I say let people do whatever they want as long as it doesn't harm someone else.

Want to marry another dude? Go for it.

Want to shoot up some heroin? Go for it.

Want to drive at 200km/h? Go for it.

Live (or die) with the consequences of your actions. If one of these things you do hurts someone else, off to jail for you.
thorment
Discrimination amongst ourselves only serves to hinder human potential.

I think this is a good direction for our species as we move forward. With this we move towards uniformity and at the same time also increasing orphans' chances of being adopted when they would otherwise be disadvantaged.
Shrewmkin
The whole rainbow shit on FB was annoying and stupid, I hate those stupid fad's or w/e they are called.

Glad that America actually legalised gay marriage, now we get to see some hysterical rednecks, Christians and Catholics going absolutely ape shit over it, it will provide some of the best entertainment ever for several weeks/months to come.

This is actually something that was needed for once, so we can start to see who is really rational and who is blinded by religious beliefs because they aren't able to think realistically.

The only concern that would arise from it is, if Australia does legalise gay marriage, will gay married couples start demanding for tax exemptions for being a gay married couple, while straight married couples won't get such benefits, that is the only issue that I see from the whole thing.
Post Reply