Sign up

The Martian (2015)

Matt Damon not being a jerk in space?

  • Use the [spoiler] BBCode to hide crucial plot details. Note when the spoiler occurs!
    TV Spoiler? Note the SEASON and EPISODE before the spoiler.
  • Slack Channels: #tvmovies
Fork




Good director, good actors, Matt Damon not being a jerk in space?

Looks good, count me in.

Anyone read the book? Worth it?
kiral
I'm currently reading the book, so I'm avoiding watching this trailer. The book is pretty awesome, but you can tell it's written by someone who has never written any other books before.
kiral
DO NOT WATCH THIS TRAILER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK!

I just finished the book, and the trailer gives away WAY too much! If you're interested in this movie and the premise, just give it a skip and wait until the movie comes out.
Hunterbob
kiral wrote:
DO NOT WATCH THIS TRAILER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK!

I just finished the book, and the trailer gives away WAY too much! If you're interested in this movie and the premise, just give it a skip and wait until the movie comes out.

Darkshaunz wrote:
Hollywood needs to cut that shit out.

Totally agree this bullshit needs to stop.

It's most notable on shitty comedies, where they show you all the good parts to try get you to spend money on the rest of the failure. Hoping this film isn't crap, by that logic.
Spoon
This was pretty fucking great.

I'm an absolute sucker for pretty much any human near-future space exploration related movies / TV shows (see Interstellar, Sunshine, Europa Report, Defying Gravity etc.) and this one really hit it out of the park.

The movie was quite humorous and absolutely gripping. While it's fairly implausible that one person could do all these things, it was amazing to watch and each aspect of it seems like something that could feasibly happen (just not all of them together).

Most of the science was excellent too, with some creative license given for story purposes.

I'd recommend the shit out of this.
Hunterbob
Spoon wrote:
This was pretty fucking great.

I'm an absolute sucker for pretty much any human near-future space exploration related movies / TV shows (see Interstellar, Sunshine, Europa Report, Defying Gravity etc.) and this one really hit it out of the park.

The movie was quite humorous and absolutely gripping. While it's fairly implausible that one person could do all these things, it was amazing to watch and each aspect of it seems like something that could feasibly happen (just not all of them together).

Most of the science was excellent too, with some creative license given for story purposes.

I'd recommend the shit out of this.

Good, just booked tickets to see this at the imax this Sunday! I haven't heard anything bad about this, so looking forward to it.

Also, is Defying Gravity any good? I think I missed that thread.
Spoon
Just read the posts from me and Fork and it'll tell you that it is indeed good, just unfortunately cancelled before it should have been. You get one full season though and that's 10 hours more Ron Livingston in space than you'll have had otherwise.
Hunterbob
So this movie was amazing and captivating throughout the whole thing. Definitely recommend to see this, IMAX was well worth the experience (and wait, seeing as it got delayed).
Hanlol
Enjoyed this movie very much. Went to the movies to see it, and was actually happy to pay the money for once. I know that some people thought it was slow in the middle, but I enjoyed the whole thing.

Apparently some guy thought it was boring though, because he snored from about the 45min mark, all the way to the end. Worst $25 he's ever spent.
Hunterbob
Hanlol wrote:
Enjoyed this movie very much. Went to the movies to see it, and was actually happy to pay the money for once. I know that some people thought it was slow in the middle, but I enjoyed the whole thing.

Apparently some guy thought it was boring though, because he snored from about the 45min mark, all the way to the end. Worst $25 he's ever spent.

How did no one wake him or throw shit at him?
Post Reply