Sign up
  • Articles can be formatted in a much more readable style using the [ap] BBCode.
  • If the article is from another location, provide attribution using the [source] BBCode, URL's can be used inside.
Matey
** Before I get started please note that everything I write here is based on my own personal observations and perspective.


While my knowledge of the inner workings of politics is quite limited, I've recently found myself becoming more aware, following the recent Queensland election, of the media's immense influence on the public, and wanting to look in to things a bit more (or at the very least find somewhere to express my frustration).

I am becoming extremely frustrated with the barraging of Tony Abbott. It has escalated tenfold this week. It started with a few memes here and there on Facebook, or a random segment on 'The Project' and has gone to every third post of my Facebook wall. And it's not just from advertising or random sources, these are people I know getting on board the "let's hate and make fun of this guy because everyone else is".

Here's the thing. I don't even think it's Abbott - it's any leader. The public are programmed to just FUCKING HATE any politician that is a leader. It's a never-ending pendulum of bandwagoning that almost completely removes any votes actually being made for what a party stands for - it's just "vote for the guy that ISN'T being completely demoralised by the media and my Facebook friends".

What the fuck is wrong with people? I know that people are idiots, but has it really come to the point where people can't make ANY informed decisions unless an external source tells them to?

I know I am biased because I vote Liberal - but as a country the majority of us chose this guy to lead.
Why don't we try to fucking support and understand his leadership instead of just shitting on every move he makes?

Perhaps with the majority of the population being stuck in a victim mentality lead them to continuously find other people to blame for their shitty lives.

Politics is not supposed to be Gossip Girl. This is just ridiculous.

At the end of the day the whole thing is just a distraction from what is happening behind closed doors. The Illuminati and the Jew bankers
Clownshoes
Yeah, It's tiring isn't it?

Pedestrian nothing cunt maymays are just an easy way for businesses and people who need attention to get engagement because everyone can have an opinion on it, no matter how spectacularly retarded they are. Think of it another way, we're so dissatisfied with our leaders in both the major political parties that this has become the outcome.

Don't forget the advent of social media has just made voices more indexable and permanent. It's not like the previous generations weren't terrible idiots, their tracks were just easier to dust away.

Bring back Howard (jokes, but almost not jokes)

Also The Project is just televised localised buzzfeed, it's provocative, it gets the people going.
Matey
Clownshoes wrote:
Bring back Howard (jokes, but almost not jokes)


I also have fond memories of the Howard government (even though I was like 14). But when you think about it, he was really the last Prime Minister to not have to deal with social media. The whole Prime Minister looking cool thing all started with KEVIN OH SEVEN.
Docilus
I've started a long response, up to three long paragraphs now, but now I've decided to put it on hold. Mainly because it is getting me riled up about all of the things. I may revisit it later.
Neifelheim
Matey wrote:

Here's the thing. I don't even think it's Abbott - it's any leader. The public are programmed to just FUCKING HATE any politician that is a leader. It's a never-ending pendulum of bandwagoning that almost completely removes any votes actually being made for what a party stands for - it's just "vote for the guy that ISN'T being completely demoralised by the media and my Facebook friends".


Rupert Murdoch likes to think of himself as a Kingmaker, it's pretty interesting to see his opinion and therefore the front pages change to reflect that he thinks Abbott is on the nose prior to that he was pro-tony and pro liberal he has many political and business reasons around this a large one when our last federal election took place in regards to the NBN the Labour NBN model would have seen his FOX empire shit on and the Lib guarantees it's place in the market.

But your dead right regarding the huge influence media plays on politics in Australia (and the world at large). I'd be happy to see Tony go but then I look at the options -

Malcolm Turnbull (returnbull) - Seen as a more moderate liberal in his party which a lot of the party don't like...for example he believes in climate change which is obviously against the party line....but he is probably the most likeable and palatable to the public then the other options. I'm worried if Returnbull got in he might actually clean up the party and lead them to victory in 18 months time.

SScott Morrision - Did an excellent job as immigration minister...in fact possibly to good a job and now there is a perception he is a total cunt. He has taken on the role of Minister for Social Services (SS) and if he performs like he did in his last portfolio will display nazilike efficiency in brining the 'dole bludgers' to their knees. Basically he is a cunt.

Julie Bishop - I don't know what to think about her except she would be very eager not to have history repeat itself and a female front bencher oust the residing prime minister. Liberal and Rupert ran such a fucking massive smear campaign against Labor because of the Rudd/Gillard split that they are going to look like hypocrits of biblical proportions if it goes down this way.

Probably the best option is for One term Tony to bumble his way through the next 18 months, give #Auspol plenty to laugh and cringe about and then lead his party to landslide loss that will take 2 terms to recover from.
kiral
Matey wrote:
Here's the thing. I don't even think it's Abbott - it's any leader. The public are programmed to just FUCKING HATE any politician that is a leader.


That's true, but the way to judge how well a politician is doing is to gauge how much hate there actually is. It feels like Tony has generated more hate than John Howard had at his peak hate levels.

Australia is a country built on tall poppy syndrome. Anyone who has power is always at least slightly begrudged.
Hunterbob
I don't follow politics too much, so lets be fair, all politicians in power fuck up. Tony Abbot just has a way with the media, in that when he fucks up, it just happens to be over something stupid. The stand out for me is trying to put a shipping lane through the Great Barrier Reef (which I think is still on the tables).

In NZ, John Key, the current PM, started off pretty badly and started selling off government assets to foreign investors and cutting a bunch of benefits that affected a huge amount of people. I think the economy is recovering, but his term so far, it seems he's done the country good. It's just whether he's done good in the long term. Could be the same for Abbot.

Also, he looks pretty untrustworthy.
Jiminy
It actually isn't between a douche and a turd sandwich in Australia... Yet. But day by day this country becomes more and more Americanised including it's view on politics thanks to the way the media turns their political commentary into a bold and the beautiful style running soap opera. Just like America.

The current leaders are partly to blame. Social media is partly to blame. Kevin fkn Rudd and any twit who voted for him is partly to blame. But most of all there's been a cultural shift, in the western world in general and it all started with some cunt suing someone for negligence over an accident. Now you can't fucking fart for fear of offending someone. You can't do anything fun because some parent with their retarded kid will come along and ruin it. Their kid will choke trying to eat the bark from the playground, or get a splinter from the old wooden fort there, then neglect to clean it out because they are idiots, get an infection and end up having their kid die of septicemia 6 months later because they refused antibiotics due to the price.

The local government/council will be sued for the unsafe fort and playground. The medical profession will be sued and some nurse will likely be dragged through a lengthy court case that will ruin her because she used an alcohol swab that was 2 days out of date. The playground will be shutdown for 5 years, eventually being replaced with the spastic proof shit we get now. The parents will get a 2 million dollar pay out and a spot on a currant affair. This is what is wrong. No one accepts responsibility for their own mistakes and no one can just call an accident an accident any more.

What we end up with is catering to the lowest common denominator. In school, we make class easier to make sure "no one gets left behind". In reality we're holding our good kids back. Dragging them down to the lowest standard so the morons don't feel stupid. Because heaven forbid someone calls a slow kid, slow. They're not slow, they're special. I actually remember when we had to start calling the slow kids special when i was at school. Jesus.

The result of this is that no one can call a spade a spade any more. We can't say or do anything. Our hands are tied behind our backs. Now we have vocal minority groups (read:Greens, Islam, Gender groups, Aboriginals) getting major air time and dictating how the rest of us will live.We don't allow US nuclear aircraft carriers in any more thanks to a few dickhead environmentalists. 5000 horny US Navy sailors spending US dollars. FUCK THAT! What ever happened to "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"?

Some of the biggest issues of late to get air time have been Abbott knighting someone and earlier to that the barrier reef port expansion as an example. Honestly, are people fucking serious? These are non-issues. The barrier reef is the biggest and best protected reef in the world. Australia does not destroy it's natural habitats. We are not Brasil. We are not building a 2000km long, 200km wide non stop jetty from Mackay to Cairns. It is not Abbott's personal agenda to destroy the entire barrier reef. It is his agenda to grow our export economy because we need fucking money and jobs. Especially in North Queensland. For everyone! The expansion of a port may destroy a part of the reef. So what? We're talking a few square km over thousands of square km. And the knighting? Who fucking cares.

Meanwhile our biggest city literally chokes on it's terrible transport system. But fuck that, lets build bike lanes, it's greener. If we don't start seriously investing in infrastructure this country will be a second world slum in 50 years. These are real issues that barely get any coverage.

I'm starting to suspect that the reason people are beginning to really bash pollys of late is because everyone is disenfranchised with them. We can't relate to the politically correct automatrons that they are. On both sides. What people want is a polly who can just get up and say, "you know what, that's fucked and it needs fixing and you shut the fuck up". We need one who really does put the needs of the many above the few. Bigger roads improve life for everyone. Fuck the cunts who live there. Take your compensation money and move on or go to jail. Sydney needs a second airport. Australia needs a second airport in Sydney. JUST FUCKING BUILD IT!

We're currently in the political climate that gives rise to extreme left or right parties. And to be honest, we actually need it.
Hunterbob
See, I don't know enough about what's happening with the reef, but I remember them saying they're wanting to dredge some of it, either way a bad idea in my books.

As for your other points though, I agree. Australia desperately needs infrastructure upgrades. Auckland is fucked because of this and Sydney could eventually follow suit if they fail to prepare. Bike lanes are good and required, but so are better roads for cars, trucks, buses etc. A second airport for Sydney is a pretty easy decision, just build one. London has four.

Politicians definitely need to stop trying to please everyone, because that's a fools game. Just aim for good aspects of everything, with major agendas that will probably piss off a minority, such as a new airport. The population that understands and agrees will probably outvote the dole bludgers and protester types anyway.
Matey
Jiminy wrote:
What people want is a polly who can just get up and say, "you know what, that's fucked and it needs fixing and you shut the fuck up". We need one who really does put the needs of the many above the few.


This is spot on. Where are the big calls these days? Have there been any major significant changes/improvements since Rudds work choice revision (originally spawned from the Howard government) ???

It seems like political leaders can see the big issues than need attention but are just completely road blocked by a bunch of whingey minorities. ** This relates to my OP where I mentioned that the majority of Australia CHOSE this leadership, so why not just trust and support our leaders? And as leaders they should make the changes that they were CHOSEN for and not listen to the cunts that opposed them.

It needs to be realised that people are ALWAYS going to complain about whatever they can find to complain about - even if they don't actually give a fuck. People complain just to complain.

We need improvements and as you said, we need a strong leader who doesn't give a fuck and says "this is happening, deal with it or fuck off".
Fun
Matey wrote:
We need improvements and as you said, we need a strong leader who doesn't give a fuck and says "this is happening, deal with it or fuck off".


Image

Amirite guys??

But in reality you're talking about Putin. That sentence, " this is happening deal with it or fuck off", is his fornal policy platform.

Actually it's "this is happening, deal with it or be poisoned/thrown in the Gulag".

But your one is more catchy.
kiral
Matey wrote:
It seems like political leaders can see the big issues than need attention but are just completely road blocked by a bunch of whingey minorities.


I think it's more that politicians back flip on every issue just to appease the popularity polls. Career polly's don't want to do anything to rock the boat and risk losing their sweet sweet government money.

The other thing with politicians - you've gotta be a bit of a knob head to become one. You believe that your opinion is so much more valid than everyone else and that everything you say should go. Anyone you meet normally with that attitude makes you want to punch them in the face, which is why it's so easy to hate politicians.
Fun
The hypocrisy is what kills me.

The trash and mud slung by the LNP prior to the election regarding promises, lies and policies before doing exactly the same thing and then bleating about how everything is still the ALP'S fault.

No two ways about it, federal ALP are fuckwits and a rabble, but you have zero legitimacy if you're lying consistently and constantly blaming your predecessors - regardless of their failings.

When your biggest coup of your first year in government is scrapping a revenue raising tax while trying to combat deficit, and literally nothing else, you are failing. Failing abysmally.
Post Reply