Sign up
cailo-
I'm going to wait out for the Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ, a joint project between Toyota and Subaru that is getting released this year. Give me a couple of years when I'm finished uni and I'm making some proper money then I will get one.

willy
cailo- wrote:
I'm going to wait out for the Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ, a joint project between Toyota and Subaru that is getting released this year. Give me a couple of years when I'm finished uni and I'm making some proper money then I will get one.




They have these in toyota showrooms in Canada. Just got back and was checking them out..very sexy.
Bain
cailo- wrote:
I'm going to wait out for the Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ, a joint project between Toyota and Subaru that is getting released this year. Give me a couple of years when I'm finished uni and I'm making some proper money then I will get one.



They suffer from the same issues as the Audi TT - no rear seat.

They other issue is they are NA and no turbo. Im sure a turbo version will be coming in 2015 or something and thats way to long to wait for a new car.

By 2015 we will have replaced the Scirocco!
Jiminy
Naturally aspirated engines have never been unpopular, and the popularity of turbos/superchargers and V8s goes up and down with the fuel price, it's as simple as that.

it's rear wheel drive and only weighs 1200kgs or something Bain, so it would get up and boogie and be fun to drive. It also has a flat four so it'll sound pretty tough rather than the standard BAWWWWW sound 4 cylinders make. I agree though, they were stupid not to wack a turbo on this, if they did, they would have a seriously fast car.
cailo-
The point of the car is to make a cheep, fun, good looking sports car aimed at people for around our age. I read that this is a car to make the dull images young people have of 2 dull brands in Toyota and Subaru look better, then in the future they would hope for them to upgrade to something more powerful in a WRX or something.

Still if the demand is out for them I would presume they would look at making a beefed up turbo version.
Fork
It's damn sexy, especially this angel from the side:

Image

Subaru will confirm more details closer to its local launch. Expect prices slightly higher than the Toyota version, which is tipped to start between $35,000 and $40,000.


Ouch! (source)
Jiminy
Fork wrote:
It's damn sexy, especially this angel from the side:

Image

Subaru will confirm more details closer to its local launch. Expect prices slightly higher than the Toyota version, which is tipped to start between $35,000 and $40,000.


Ouch! (source)


It is damn sexy. So needs a turbo version though. If it did it would snatch a huge chunk of the performance market overnight, considering they've stopped making affordable Skylines (read: GTR) and nothing other than a WRX really fills the low budget performance niche. Needs a straight 6 2.6l twin turbo engine to be precise lol. They should give nissan a call and see if they can bring in a third partner :P
I would have an erection if that happened.
Ralphie
Those toyotas/subarus will be the toyota soarer/mitsubishi FTO/Skyline GTS/Nissan 200sx of next decade. They're still nice looking little cars though, I bet they're fun to drive. But yeah, leb magnets. (and consequently, cop magnets)
Bain
Ralphie wrote:
Those toyotas/subarus will be the toyota soarer/mitsubishi FTO/Skyline GTS/Nissan 200sx of next decade. They're still nice looking little cars though, I bet they're fun to drive. But yeah, leb magnets. (and consequently, cop magnets)


Indeed! Theyll also be a magnet for anyone who thinks its the replacement AE86 drift king from InitialD..

Lets see if it will even come to aus first!
Hunterbob
Awesome choice in the end Bain! Scirocco's are nice quick little things as well as well kitted out. Go go gadget European luxury :) Have fun with the left hand indicator ;)
Cakes wrote:
I'm looking at the new Focus hatchbacks.. they are.. sexy.

No. They are not. Last generation are much nicer.


Fork wrote:
It's damn sexy, especially this angel from the side:

Image

Subaru will confirm more details closer to its local launch. Expect prices slightly higher than the Toyota version, which is tipped to start between $35,000 and $40,000.


Ouch! (source)

Looks like a Supra from that angle if you ask me. This should prove a good seller looking like a Supra imo.
hekate
[quote="Hunterbob"]Have fun with the left hand indicator ;)

We've got Fiestas with left-hand indicators now anyway. My first car was a Fiat with left-hand indicators, so I'm more comfortable with it on that side actually. When I drive a right-side indicator car, I usually end up sticking the windscreen wipers on all the time.
Hunterbob
hekate wrote:
Hunterbob wrote:
Have fun with the left hand indicator ;)

We've got Fiestas with left-hand indicators now anyway. My first car was a Fiat with left-hand indicators, so I'm more comfortable with it on that side actually. When I drive a right-side indicator car, I usually end up sticking the windscreen wipers on all the time.

Haha, I used to do that at one place I worked at, the work mule had left hand indicator while my car didn't. Was pretty odd some days. I just don't understand why they don't just switch it to the correct side, I know all of Europe is basically left hand drives, but it's not that big a thing to change for ease of use. The right side is the correct side for a Right hand drive and left for a left hand drive. Your gear/action hand is meant to be used for just that; gears, lights and radio etc... DAMN YOU DIRTY APES!
Jiminy
Hunterbob wrote:
Have fun with the left hand indicator ;)


God yes, my mum had an Astra convertible a few years back and it had this. So fucking annoying when you only drive it randomly. If it was yours you'd get used to it.

I agree bob, it really wouldn't be too hard to switch it to the other side.
Post Reply